How to Fix Excel Not Responding Issues
Are you frequently having issues with your Microsoft Excel? When you launch Excel or try to open a file, the most common issues you receive are Excel not responding errors, Excel hangs or freezes and stops working.
The solutions for these problems are as follows:-
Install latest updates
These problems may occur if the files are out-of-date. To fix this problem Windows Update must be set to automatic so that whenever there are recommended updates, the Windows Update automatically downloads and installs the necessary updates.
Check if Excel is not used by another process
Issues may occur if Excel is in use by another process and the information will be displayed in the status bar. Performing other actions while Excel is in use may result in Excel not responding. Before attempting another action in Excel, let the task process be completed first.
Look into issues with add-ins
Add-ins sometimes interferes or conflict with Excel. Try restarting Excel without add-ins and check if the problem disappears.
- For Windows 7 click Start and Windows 8 click Run in Apps menu
- Type Excel in Search in Windows 7 or Run in Windows 8, then click OK
- If the issue gets resolved, on the start menu, click options then Add-ins
- Select the COM Add-ins and then click on GO
- Disable all the add-ins by clearing all the check boxes and click OK
- Close and then restart Excel.
Start enabling the add-ins one at a time until the problem occurs. This will help you to figure out which add-in is causing the problem.
Repair Office programs
Repairing Office programs can solve issues pertaining in Excel by automatically repairing the errors in Office files.
- Close all running Office programs
- For Windows 7 click start and then select Control Panel, for Windows 8 select Control Panel from Apps menu.
- After Control Panel select Programs and Features
- When the list of installed programs appears, right click on Microsoft Office, then Click Change > Repair > Continue.
Check if Antivirus is up-to-date or conflicting with Excel
Excel may not perform properly if the antivirus software is not up-to-date. First check if the antivirus is up-to-date. If not update it. Download the latest update from the Internet by visiting the website of the Antivirus software vendor.
Also check if the antivirus is conflicting with Excel. If the software includes integration with Excel, there might be performance issue. In such cases disable all the Excel integration in antivirus. But changing antivirus settings may make your computer prone to virus attacks and make it vulnerable to malicious attacks. It is not recommended to change the settings of the antivirus programs.
If you still have issues with Excel or any other Microsoft Office products, get in touch with iYogi technical experts and they will help resolve your issues.